Tuesday, September 09, 2014

FindingFaith: DIY Bohemian Style Kimono


Hello friends!  Hope you all had an amazing weekend! Part of Finding Faith to me is about finding my own personal style. I'm still experimenting with it, but I would describe my style as bohemian. One day while thrift store shopping with Shana and Edwina, it just clicked. I found ME! It was so exciting! I bought up everything I could, then went home and put together outfits with items I already had. I even did a little fashion show for my husband. Part of the bohemian style to me is finding and creating unique pieces. I will be posting my "altered clothing" projects and ideas with you every now and again.  

 This one is a kimono I had that I never wore. I wanted to open up the front and give it a more vintage feel by changing the color. I used a seam ripper and cut the bottom

 I dyed the fabric with 1/8 c red ink, 2 t red food coloring, 1/4 c each of henna and loose tea for an aged look (can also use coffee) and 1/2 c sea salt, and enough water to cover.
 I boiled the ingredients, submerged the garment and let it sit in the hot water for about 3 or 4 hours. I was very pleased with result.


Here is the finish product!



If you want to experiment with a style, start with finding different looks online. I LOVE Pinterest for this (Follow me on Pinterest as vegasartgirl). Quite often I try to re-create looks that I find. Look in your own closet first, then look for unique pieces. I prefer the thrift stores, but I do shop at regular stores for specific items and jewelry. (I'm constantly looking for bargains). For those who want to try a bohemian look, it is very unconventional with not a lot of rules, but I do have guidelines for myself. Accessories are a big part of it for me, jewelry, scarves, hats, etc. I'm also a fan of fringe and lace. I also try to stick with the "rule" of wearing a flowing loose top with something short or tight and vice versa. However, rules for the bohemian are made to be broken. So get out there and create a new look for yourself! We would love to see what you put together!

Creatively yours,

Faith

You can check out our shopping trip below!!


Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

THANK YOU to everyone for making me laugh and smile everyday! I love reading every comment and will always do my best to reply!
Love Always,
Shana

© shana emily | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig