Thursday, June 03, 2021

One Room Challenge Week 5: Choosing a Wallpaper & re-purposing an old ottoman!

 


Well hello there...anyone who is out there reading this old thrifting fashion blog. No I have not become an interior designer. Far from it haha but I am here trying to get through life & this One Room Challenge. It wouldn't be me if all things were falling apart while I was challenging myself. I guess it wouldn't be a challenge if it wasn't. 

Click on the LOGO below to see others who are participating as well!  


If you missed the first 4 weeks you can see them  below!

QUICK life update. Our Sampson had a minor set back yesterday once again and is now not able to get up on his own. Though I must say we have been spending so much more time with him...taking him on wagon walks & Loving him more than ever. A dogs life isn't filled with much if you don't fill it. Today is looking up though I am not sure how much time we have left with our Mr. Sasha is doing better and getting her IV fluid treatment thanks to one of best friends Jennifer who has been literally coming to the house to help me administer it. I know....I can't believe this is my life right now. I am the caretaker and I am EXHAUSTED. 

So! Where are we with the challenge you may ask...and even if you haven't here is the UPDATE as we know it! 

SOOOO for the most exciting part of this room and something I have been WANTING to do for so many years...Wait for it!! WALLPAPER! Yep. I will be attempting the ever so scary WALLPAPER. I fell in love with this company called Milton & King about 6 months ago well into Pandemic. I dreamed of the different rooms in my home and stalked the so many talented DIY men and women who brought it into their home! I had to change the patterns since the couch in the room changed 3 times! So I have been on the fence and NEED your help ASAP as I have to order it like TODAY. SO Here we go! 


As most of the things I bring into my home...they have to evoke an emotion, bring value or a story and add something that makes me smile. THIS was the first one I saw & immediately fell in love! Here is how they describe each one on the site! 

These cranes are the bird of happiness and good fortune in the Japanese culture and ther ewas just something about them. Granted this was BEFORE I got the vintage couch...refer to Week 1 and 2 of the challenge for those! This stunning Cranes Wallpaper was inspired by Japanese traditional hand-paint Byobu (gold silk folding screen) and the union of landscape and fauna typical of Ukiyo-e art.

The form of the Crane, often referred to as the ‘Bird of Happiness’ and good fortune in Japanese culture, soaring regally amongst the gilded clouds, is a design intended to showcase both the beauty of the art style and the majesty of the Japanese crane.

2. Almond Blossom

Almond Blossom Wallpaper is an elegant floral design inspired by Japanese woodcut prints, admired by Vincent in a period that would inspire the term ‘Japonaiserie’. Almond Blossom’s subdued beauty and seamlessly perpetual pattern, drawn from Van Gogh’s masterful command of color and emotion, make this luxurious, oriental piece a magnificent addition to any interior that requires a touch of beauty & romance. Available in 6 colorways, the design features the crawling branches of the almond tree punctuated by white blossoms while peacocks with cascading feathers perch peacefully.

3. Hydrangea

This stunning modern floral wallpaper features hydrangeas in full bloom creating a welcoming springtime aesthetic. All of the elements within this designer wallpaper were all individually hand painted, with the flowers then cut out to create a layered effect. It is both classic and modern making it timeless wallpaper, suitable for all ages.

A Japanese wallpaper celebrating the essence of the Ukiyo-e movement, an inspired intermingling between the stunning Japanese art of Ikebanaa (flower arrangement) and a captivating re-imagining of Hokusai’s iconic yet timeless “The Great Wave off Kanagawa”. This surreal wallpaper functions from afar as an engaging omen to traditional depictions of awe-inspiring Japanese floral designs, however in detail, pays homage to the original wood-block print, featuring wild seas, boats with fishermen and mountain scapes. Above all GREAT WAVE BLOOM is a tribute to the beauty of Japanese culture and arts.

SO, What do you guys think? I think I already know what I am going with...and I have a really special surprise I will be announcing today on Instagram...like I am beyond humbled and so excited and slightly scared but that once again was what this what all about! Ok...now on to some of the other updates! 

Last week I decided to scrap the idea of trying to find ottomans and opted to shop my home. I had this one from a long time ago and I paid like $5.
I know it is a beauty right haha I hate it but whatever. My idea was to strip the varnish and stain the legs. I sanded one leg and then tried a solution and well I was over it after like 10 minutes. SO I went to our garage and found a primer and paint in one and decided to paint the legs black. I had a vision of the rug I would be going with so that was that. 
I removed the green material and trim and began to paint. I didn't sand the other legs haha nope. 
Two coats later here we are. not bad. It isn't perfect but no need it was fine. 
I kept the material and used it as a template. 

The material was gifted by Deb & while it is slightly more red than I was looking I really love it and it is a soft velvet really nice...oh did I mention it was free? So that worked out as well! Thanks Deb!!! 
So here we are..I haven't stapled the material on yet for several reasons...but WAIT for the update on this and you will see how it turns out. I needed to order the rug...so I shared the 4 options I had settled on and here they are!


and here are the results from YOU! I was definitely surprised on how it turned out but you will have to wait to see what I chose in my final reveal...yep keeping it a secret if you care haha
Lastly the hubby finished the cabinets and is now working on the bookshelves. This is taking a lot longer haha but my contractor i.e. my husband is learning and doing amazing! I am working on an art piece done by a local artist and friend who is AMAZING and I am really excited about it...other details are being ordered so Follow along on Instagram and would love to hear your feedback!!! 

Till next week! Thank you all for the love! 


xoxo,

Shana 









Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

THANK YOU to everyone for making me laugh and smile everyday! I love reading every comment and will always do my best to reply!
Love Always,
Shana

© shana emily | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig